If you’re running a website, it’s important to make sure that all of your images are properly optimized for SEO. This means adding alt text to all of your images. In this blog post, we will discuss what alt text is and why it’s necessary for SEO. We’ll also provide some tips on how to write effective alt text for your images.
What Is Alt Text: Your Functional Definition
Alt text, or alternative text, is a short description of an image. It’s used by screen readers to describe images to visually impaired users, and it’s also used by search engines to understand the content of an image. When writing alt text, you should focus on creating a concise, accurate description of the image.
Learn about common mistakes small businesses make with their websites so you can avoid them.
Why Is Alt Text Important for SEO?
There are a few reasons why alt text is important for SEO:
- Helps search engines understand images: By adding alt text to your images, you’re helping search engines understand the content of your images. This is especially important if you have an image-heavy website.
- Improves accessibility: As we mentioned before, screen readers use alt text to describe images to visually impaired users. This helps make your website more accessible to a wider range of users.
- Increases click-through rates: If your images are properly optimized with alt text, they will be more likely to show up in image search results. This can lead to increased traffic, impressions and higher click-through rate.
How to Write Effective Alt Text
Now that we’ve discussed what alt text is and why it’s important, let’s talk about how to write effective alt text for your images. Here are a few tips:
- Make it brief: As we mentioned before, alt text should be no more than a few words long.
- Use keywords wisely: Keyword research is important to create good alt tags. Stuffing your alt text with too many keywords will result in poorer quality content.
- Be relevant: Make sure that the alt text is relevant to the image and the context in which it’s being used.
- Make it descriptive: The goal of alt text is to accurately describe the image. This means using descriptive words and avoiding generic terms like “picture” or “image.”